Sunday 19 August 2007

Welcome

Hi there. Welcome to Haskell for Maths.

One of my hobbies is learning maths. The areas of maths I'm most interested in are Combinatorics, Algebra and Number Theory, although I do occasionally stray into other areas too. I have a stretch target to understand Andrew Wiles' proof of Fermat's Last Theorem - but I think that may take a while.

When I'm reading maths, I find that a good way to understand it is to write some code. For example, if I'm learning about some new algebraic structure, I might represent it in code, and then play around with some examples. That way I get a really concrete understanding of the concepts.

The language I use is Haskell. There are two main reasons for this:
  • Haskell is a very mathematical language. It feels very natural to express mathematical concepts in Haskell.
  • Haskell is a very concise language. I can write code much faster in Haskell than in any other language I know.

So anyway, if you're interested in maths then I want to share some of my Haskell code with you, and that's what this blog is all about.

(This is my second attempt. I already published some code here. However, that project got too big, and became unmanageable. This time round I'm going to do more, smaller projects, and hopefully keep things simple. Also, my Haskell coding skills have improved, so the code should be better this time round.)

Enjoy.

No comments: